Skip to main content

Excerpt - WIP - Bitter Roots

'Everything is not always as it seems', Aurelia reassured herself as she pressed her back hard against the heavy oak door.

'Just another secret' she murmured to herself as she turned and walked down the hall. Only to haphazardly bump into her boss, Mr. Burron.

"Ah! Aurelia. Just the person I was looking for.", he said much more cheerfully than he'd ever before.

"What can I do for you Mr. Burron?", she meekly asked. He face suddenly furrowed.


"Is Mrs. Burron here?", he questioned.

"Asked to be left to herself in the study."

He paused and his eyes searched across her face.

"Ah well may I ask your company in my office then?"


Her heart sank a little bit and a nauseous feeling settled in her stomach.


"Absolutely." Her voice cracked.

"It's nothing bad I promise."


He gestured for her to walk ahead of him. Cautioned, she proceeded to walk with him to his office. She stood in the threshold as he walked passed and seated himself.


"Please take a seat."


She glanced over at the chaise in the corner of the office.


"I'm fine. Honestly."

"Humor me. Please."


She finally did as asked and took a spot on the chaise.


"I'm sure your wondering why I wanted to talk with you…(pause) and it's not about Mrs. Burron's infidelities."


The color left Aurelia's face as she tried to stammer out an explanation as to why she had remained mute.


"It's ok. I've known of them for years previous to you being hired." Thomas said trying to rest her stammering. 

"I wanted to speak with you today because I found my manuscript had been edited."


"I'm very sorry sir and I will not touch anything in your office again!!" she almost shouted as she found her feet.


"Aurelia it's ok… I'm actually glad to find your edits. I have been struggling with this for a while." He said reassuringly. "In fact, I was wondering if you would mind brainstorming with me later this evening."

"Brainstorming, sir?"

"I would appreciate some input on the direction you were going with the edits."

"I was just writing to be writing….aside from that Mrs. Burron and yourself have dinner reservations at Emerald Yard."

"I am certain my absence won't be a problem….so is it a date?"

"Brainstorming session?" Aurelia replied.

"Very well a 'brainstorming session'." He chuckled softly.

"Please do excuse me, I have things I need to get done."


Aurelia promptly took to her feet and scurried nervously out of the office.


It was a quarter past 7 when Madeline popped into Thomas' office. She stretched out on the chaise lounge and propped her chin on the edge.


"I know we have dinner plans but I just got a call that a friend is in town and I've not seen her in ages." She began.


"It's fine, I have work to do anyway.", Thomas retorted coldly.


She sat up surprised. "Are you sure? I know it's been months since we've been out."

"It's fine, Madeline. I'm actually behind and my publisher is wanting a first draft by this week's end."

"I just hate to see you working so hard." She continued.

"It's alright. This book will be published soon and then we can take a trip up to the cottage."


Madeline stood up and adjusted her slinky red dress.

Then flipped her dirty blonde hair, quickly wiping her smeared lipstick as she caught sight of the mirror.


"Don't wait up. I most likely will be late." She said as she left.


Halfway down the stairs Madeline stopped Aurelia who was heading to the study with a freshly mixed cocktail.


"Aurelia, be a dear and make sure to call me if Mr. Burron was to leave."


Aurelia nodded in agreement and Madeline began to walk away. "Oh and Aurelia can you be sure to get my laundry to the cleaners as soon as possible?",


"Yes ma'am. First thing in the morning."

"Oh and one more thing, please let me know if Mr. Burron has any guests this evening as well."

"I will ma'am."


Aurelia stood a bit anxiously as she watched Madeline take her leave down the stair well. Aurelia took a deep breath and continued to the study with the cocktail.


The door was shut, so Aurelia gently knocked on it and awaited a reply. There was no answer, she knocked again. On the third knock Thomas opened the door. She was surprised to see his face shaved and the strong aroma of men's cologne permeated from the room.


Comments